Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:30:09 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III <bruno <at> wolff.to> writes:

> I tried the build part (remotely, so I didn't test the install part)

I got rawhide to install to a spare partition this evening, but I elected
not to write the MBR - that way I can still boot into the previous F8 just fine.

The new partition is labelled /1 and should be mounted as / - I can mount that
partition from the old F8 partition and look at the files - it looks OK -

I have a /boot directory and it contains a vmlinuz file and an initrd file, but
when configuring the grub.conf on the F8 partition to look at the new boot area
it does not boot... instead I get :

Booting 'F9 Rawhide'

root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-0.69.rc3.git1.fc9

Error 2: Bad file or directory type

Press any key to continue...

The system hangs at this point -

So I wonder if I have done something dumb or is today's rawhide not bootable?

Thanks