Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 08:23:29 UTC 2008

Rodney Morris <rodamorris <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rawhide stanzas in your
> grub.conf will not work with your current setup.  Grub is looking for
> your Rawhide kernel in the boot directory where your grub.conf is
> located.  (By the information you provided, I'm guessing that is your
> Fedora 8 /boot directory.)

Ahh - yes - that sounds right - and your solutions both sound feasible.

I will try when I next get a chance to get a few hours to test again....

I guess that I made an error when doing the install by selecting not to
install grub in rawhide - what I did not want was to overwrite the existing
grub on the mbr - but really wanted to install the grub files in /boot
on the rawhide partition, but leave the mbr alone. Clearly I did not
get grub at all in the rawhide install!

One question - can I install grub in the rawhide partition even though I
cannot currently boot to it? i.e. can I copy the grub files from the
F8 /boot directory to the rawhide partition /boot and get it to work?

BTW the /boot directory in F8 is just a directory inside the F8 partition
and not a separate /boot partition.

mike