Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 08:53:27 UTC 2008

Mike <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hopefully the boot will succeed by chainloading from f8 by adding a few lines
> with
> root (hd0,7)
> chainloader +1
>
> since the rawhide install is going to sda8.....

With grub correctly installed natively on sda8 Rawhide (as of 28th Feb updates)
now boots via the chainloader from my f8 grub on a separate partition.

I am seeing the same issues as others with keyboard problems

A few other observations:
1) Firstboot starts but as soon as I try to enter a non-root user it crashes

2) Booting to runlevel 5 is problematic with a kernel oops - I let it send a
report with the new magic tool that pops up.

3) Booting to runlevel 3 and running startx gets to the gnome desktop.

4) Some things are flaky - system-config-services is erratic and slow
and crashed when I tried to use it.

5) Shutdown sometimes works and sometimes hangs the machine.

I will try to do more tests when time permits.