error starting GNOME Settings Daemon, Volume Control quit

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 04:18:22 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Today when I booted up, I got this error logging in:
>
> There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
>
> Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background
> settings may not work correctly.
>
> The last error message was:
>
> Failed to execute program /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-
> daemon/gnome-settings-daemon: Success
>
> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next
> time you log in.
>
> Also, the mixer applet Volume Control crashed:
>
> "Volume Control" has quit unexpectedly
>
> If you reload a panel object, it will
> automatically be added back to the panel.
>

> I can start "/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" manually, and my
> settings come back.  However, restarting /usr/libexec/mixer_applet2
> just causes it to crash again immediately.

Have you updated gstreamer today?  The volume control is supposed to be fixed in
gstreamer packages just built.  The gnome-settings-daemon I don't think is fixed
yet, its happening to me as well.  There is a new package available but it has
dependency issues, control-center and gnome-applets do not let libxklavier
update which the new gnome-settings-daemon is built against.