Rawhide xdvik obsoleted by F8 tetex-xdvi

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Sun Feb 3 19:23:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 10:56 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:28:58PM -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >

> > It seems reasonable that anything in F9 should be more up to date than
> > anything in F8 (see another post in this thread).
> >
> > tetex-xdvi-3.0-44.3.fc8
> > xdvik-22.84.13-10.fc9
>
> It is; but the main difference is that F8 packages provide 'tetex'
> distribution while rawhide comes with 'texlive' (the later evolved
> from and in continues a work carried for many years by Thomas Esser
> with tetex).  Right now you are seeing in rawhide a "transition
> period" and from time to time something may tie itself in a knot
> although in general thing looks really smooth with this.  One of
> issues is to provide a natural updgrade path - of course.  OTOH

That's why I wanted to bring the issue to somebody's attention 8^).

> mixing here packages from F8 and rawhide does not sound like a good
> idea.

In this case, jnovy's F8 texlive repo isn't being updated.  It was he
who suggested pulling the Rawhide versions.  tetex is pretty old, now.
I'd like to use texlive , both for myself and to help test.  But I can't
afford to run all Rawhide at this point.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs