F9Alpha Firefox Bookmarks (KDE4)

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 04:00:04 UTC 2008

Gerry Tool wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 5:24 PM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gerry Tool wrote:
>>> Bookmarks behave unexpectedly in F9Alpha Firefox
>>>

>> FF3 uses a changed bookmarks structure, rather than a flat file it uses a
>> database.  You can import a flatfile bookmarks.html, but it will not keep it
>> updated as FF2 does (so you cannot share your bookmarks across distros/oses
>> quite the same way as FF2).
>>
>> Try to import the old file manually.
> This feature was a bit hard to find Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks >
> Import and Backup > Import > From File.
>
> It navigated to the bookmarks.html file, then when I selected the file
> and clicked Open, it returned to the Show all Bookmarks window with no
> new bookmarks added.
>
> I'm underwhelmed.  What did I do wrong?  Is this just not functioning yet?

I had to try it several times myself to get mine to load.  I used to keep the
bookmarks.html linked to a shared location from all my machines before I started
using foxmarks to sync them.

Try loading the file a few times, and quiting FF in between.  Try creating a new
  firefox profile and loading them right away (firefox -ProfileManager).  To
answer the obvious question, no its not working too well yet.  AFAIK they have
yet to really address what they will do about this; I saw a blog post some time
ago about doing an auto-import of bookmarks.html when FF3 is installed/upgraded
from FF2, but then not changing it after that.  So anyway I'm not sure what the
status of that is.  Mine did import after 3-4 tries. :) And I did not have to
edit the file to make it work.