cron / mrtg problem

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Feb 8 17:04:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 05:47:28PM +0100, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> crontab:
(skipped)

> shell:
(skipped)

At least it is clear that environments are not the same. :-)

> Needs Perl LANG or something else ?

I have no idea without going through the code but, as this is
a network application, I would be not surprised if HOSTNAME would
be used somewhere; or maybe TERM is expected?  Possibly indirectly.

In any case you can set yourself a shell with the same environment
which cron is using and try to run mrtg there.  If my initial guess
is correct then you should find out pretty quickly what all this
complaint is about.

    Michal