Why are there only sometimes images in rawhide?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 06:11:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:00:55PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
 > On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:25:43 -0600
 > Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
 >
 > > Sometimes when I look there are images for rawhide and sometimes
 > > there aren't. Is there some rhyme or reason to this?
 > > In particular I was looking for an updated boot.iso for x86_64 today
 > > as I was having problems doing a fresh install with an encrypted swap
 > > and wanted to try out the latest anaconda.
 >
 > Attempts to make the images are done every night.  Often times things
 > conspire to make this attempt fail.  In particular, last night
 > system-config-firewall had a bad Requires on usermode, and thus the
 > chroots couldn't successfully install anaconda and it's deps in order
 > to make the images.

How can we make this more bulletproof ?

It's laughable how often it breaks during a development cycle, and the
problem seems to get worse over time, not better.

The only time rawhide is regularly installable is typically the last
few weeks of a cycle.  We're losing a lot of potential testing due
to this.

One thing that comes to mind is that when a compose breaks, we fix it
up, and take the approach of 'maybe tomorrows will work'.
Perhaps we need to stage things after a compose breakage, so that
new builds can't add new breakage, and we lose a day of new builds
in favour of getting a fixed tree out there over perpetual firefighting.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk