Including radeonhd in beta?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Feb 12 16:27:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 15:08:25 +0000,
  Christopher Brown <snecklifter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/2008, Fastie <fastie81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Ok but can we get rid of the radeon driver then.
> > So when you install the system you get the vesa driver witch will let you at
> > lease boot in to X.
> > Chris
>
> The radeon driver is the one getting updated. The situation should be
> improving quickly now that ati have released specs. The indications
> may be that you have 3d stuff working for F9 release. I would be
> inclined to CC yourself into a bugzilla entry which matches your setup
> (or create a new one) and track progress there. Disabling a driver
> under development is not the best solution. qv. wireless drivers.

I new that the new ATI cards were supposed to be getting improved support,
that's why I got one.
However the man page for the radeon driver doesn't say anything about
support for anything past the R400 series. It might be nice if it at least
mentioned that R500 and/or R600 series support is under development so
we know that we should be testing that driver instead of the radeonhd
driver. Also, not even 2D is working now (at least for my card).
I should be able to file a bug against xorg-x11-drv-ati (that's the
correct component in this case?) tomorrow when I have access to the
Xorg.0.log file from the failed X start up.