ISO 216 vs U.S. paper Another "Mars Climate Orbiter" in the horizon

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Thu Feb 14 22:54:34 UTC 2008

Asking tester to look into default printer settings
on a clean installed system both KDE and Gnome...

And report the findings back to the list so we/me
can gather the results and start filing RFE or bugs
based on the results so we get consistency in default printer settings in
applications.

Did a little research and notice this..

Note this is a clean system install running FC-8 updated with
updates-testing.
I've done no printer configuration what so ever.

Gedit is set to A4 <--- ISO 216
Gthumb is set to A4 <--- ISO 216
Gimp is set to Letter <--- U.S. paper
Firefox is set to Letter <--- U.S. paper
Thunderbird is set to Letter <--- U.S. paper
Open office defaults to Letter <--- U.S. paper

How to test...

When using or switched to locale for these country's The United States,
Canada, and in possible Mexico ( some parts of Mexico still uses US.Letter )
the printers default settings in the application should show US.Letter
or just Letter.
Any other country than the 2 ( possible 3 ) default printer settings
should show A4.

Turn off CUPS  ( service cups stop )

Application that support printing and relie on cups don't need checking

Change the locale on the system.

Verify the locale from terminal has change/taken effect( locale )

Verify the printing option in the locale (  locale -ck LC_PAPER )

For Letter
height=279
width=216

For A4
height=297
width=210

Check if application that support printing have change accordingly..

Any application in which default printer settings does not  change
accordingly gets flagged.

Report the applications you tested what locale was set and which ones
did not change the default paper size accordingly.

Best regards.
                 Johann B.