Keyboard problem after latest updates

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:06:01 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 03:30:44PM +0100, Antonio M wrote:
>> tnx Kevin,
>>
>> I think that this is a (good) workaround, but system should not
>> destroy my settings and developer should take care of it (and possibly
>> to restore it)

No.  If you completely wipe the system and reinstall it from the current rawhide
images with the current rawhide packages it should 'work'.  That is what you
should expect of rawhide.  You should not expect that rawhide will not lose your
settings.  You should not expect that rawhide will even allow you to use certain
settings or applications every day.

Forward / Backward is the nature of the beast.  Its not even a notable problem,
its normal.  Things break, you workaround them.  Every rawhide repo build you
update, you look for new problems, report them, and fix them or deal with the
breakage for awhile.

> This is a "Pearl of Wisdom" which recently David Zeuthen deigned to
> bestow on me in a response to a report which turned out to be
> settings/interface breakage; with a very non-obvious (ok, for me)
> and hard to find replacement, I may add.
>
> "Sorry, but this is Fedora; there is no expectation of settings
> being preserved from one version to another".
>
> I think that this is obviously wrong but some do have this attitude
> and is apparently very hard to do something about it.
>
> Moreover in this particular case for a person who did that breakage,
> and was aware what is going on, it was a simple matter of adding
> some package scripts with gconftool-2 which would read old settings
> and write corresponding new ones as needed (very far from obvious
> what new ones may be and no idea what were reasons behind the
> change) to avoid the problem.  Yes, you would have to walk through
> all user accounts on a machine.  This is a nature of the beast.  As
> things stand expect much more "fun" of that sort after realease as
> the report was closed with a blatantly false "NOTABUG".
>
>    Michal

This (post-release updates) is not the same issue as minor breakage in rawhide.
  There may be a problem with post-release updates that break things, but loss
of settings in applications during development is truly *NOTABUG*... as long as
it works when the settings are put back.

If developers spend all their time making sure that each build is tested enough
not to reset a config file or lose a keyboard setting then nothing productive
will get done in development of cutting-edge advancements.  There is no reason
to expect every built package to work in development, and absolutely no reason
whatsoever to expect safety of data or settings.