F9alpha and KDE4

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 25 12:06:32 UTC 2008

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 03:35 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:57 PM, John Summerfield
>> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>> I think I'm going to adopt Gnome at last. I've never been a regular
>>>  Gnome user since 1.x but that might change.
>

>> Well, KDE4 does not share config with old kde, and so you should kill
>> your home .kde before starting.  That will give you the basic.

I've never had to do that before, and there is no new .kde directory. It
ought pick up the existing settings and merge them with new defaults,
preferring user's selections wherever possible.

It's done some of that, but then ignored others.

And storing them in a .kde4 directory would make great sense, so it
doesn't bugger stuff up for those who share ~ or who decide to go back.

>> Nevertheless, I have tested KDE4 and agree with you. It is just not
>> ready. It lacks many features for which I had started using KDE in the
>> first place.
>
> It's not actually meant to be completely ready. On the other hand, we do
> still include KDE3, don't we? If I'm wrong then it's ....not nice
> situation for KDE users (I use Gnome anyways :).

I don't expect anything in rawhide to be completely ready:-) though at
this time in the cycle it should be getting there. And I understand the
perils of using new software, I've had  - um- four decades to learn that
one. However, I do expect that what's in rawhide (or f9a) now is very
like what we'll get.

KDE3? I didn't do anything special, when I upgraded I just took what
came. If KDE3 still exists

> KDE4 wont't be bad once it's finished. I tried it from the live media
> and was impressed with the artwork and speed. Well, there's not much to
> the dekstop environment, is it? :)

Well I certainly couldn't find much. I think the artwork's target is for
younger people, say 20something +- a bit. I don't think it will be
popular with baby boomers. And I'd expect corporates' views to be
similar to mine, though maybe with some different reasoning. Say too
much retraining for too little gain.

My _real_ work is done on RHEL-clone, and that's safe for a few more
years. However, I am also playing with virtualisation, and for that I
want to sit hear the bleeding edge, at least for the virtualisation tools.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait