Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 22:20:47 UTC 2008

I downloaded the F9 alpha dvd iso and tried to install to a spare partition
on a laptop which already has an F8 installation on it.

Anaconda started up and asked for the usual keyboard etc settings, but as
soon as I had defined the HD directory for the HD install anaconda threw
an exception and the install hung with anaconda findExistingRootPartitions
errors.  I could not save the traceback, nor copy out the stuff on the
screen, so could not sensibly put in a bugzilla report.

Can anyone shed any light on this or seen anything similar happen?

I also tried an install using the boot.iso and extracting the vmlinuz and
initrd.img to /boot and making a grub entry so that a URL install to a mirror
could be tried but this failed also - and did not even get to downloading
the second stage install file. The kickstart file was obtained from one of the
mirrors and modified.

Does anyone have a pointer to a procedure for setting up an install from either
method so that a rawhide install might proceed to an unused partition on the
HD and then the intention is to not write grub to the MBR but to the /1
partition and then chainload the install from the pre-existing grub entry for
f8.

If this sounds a wrong way to go about this please post, and suggest a better
method.