RPM problem -- made even worse

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 25 23:00:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 14:46 -0800, Alan wrote:

> > Have you tried yum-complete-transaction?
> > If not do this:
> >
> > yum install yum-utils
> >

> > yum-complete-transaction
> >
> > it should clean up your aborted transactions.
>
> Oh crap did that screw things up.  It deleted about a dozen packages.  Now
> whenever i try and log in I get "unable to authenticate" for EVERY user
> (including root) on the box.

boot it up in single user mode and see if you can get in and/or booting
with init=/bin/sh

It should have removed those packages, if the transaction was where you
claim then those were just extras left hanging around.

Then again there are lots of cases where simply finishing out the
removal portion of the transaction isn't enough.

-sv