RPM problem -- made even worse

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 26 02:34:29 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:23 -0800, Alan wrote:
>
>> More info...
>>
>> I found the yum.log.  (Named /var/log/yum.log.)  It listed that "pam" was
>> one of the packages erased.
>>
>> I ran "rpm -V pam" to see what was missing.  Just every file used by pam.
>> The database lists pam installed for i386 and x86_64.  I guess I get to
>> grab those packages and force a reinstall.
>>
>> At least I know what is screwed up again.
>>
>> I think that program needs some work...
>
> Aborting transactions and starting them over is a dodgy affair.
> yum-complete-transaction can _sometimes_ help,

I've not used it, so for all I know it might already do this...
It would be handy if it could list the commands it thinks are needed to
fix the problem. A competent sysadmin probably wouldn't erase pam or the
last kernel or any of the other daft things a WIP fixer-upper might do.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait