Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 21:06:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 14:54 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:30:14 +0000,
>   Mike <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So how do others install rawhide apart from doing an upgrade from an
> > existing fedora by yum updating after enabling the development repo?
>
> You are supposed to be able to use a boot.iso file and the repository to
> do it. The success rate of producing usable boot.iso files has been
> essentially zero since the alpha.
>
> I was hoping one got produced today when I saw there was an images
> directory, but it doesn't look like one got produced today.

Unfortunately, the environment that rawhide is built in has some ...
quirks[1] and thus it's tripping up some of the changes that have been
going on to make the scripts that build images a little bit better.
Hopefully we have the last of those out of the way now. :-/

But if you have a tree, running buildinstall from the anaconda-runtime
package should be working fine at this point.  And hopefully the next
step of making it easier for someone to build their own images will be
landing in the next day or three.

Jeremy

[1] Things like Packages/ being a symlink as opposed to a directory,
which means that our find didn't find the package it was looking for
since we weren't using find -L.  *sigh*