RPM problem - overheating actually

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Wed Feb 27 19:24:33 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>> I am encountering a problem that needs some sort of fix.  Not urgent, but
>> it is something that eventually needs to be solved.
>>
>> I have a laptop that has heat issues.  Given a hard enough workload it
>> will overheat and shutdown.  (I have yet to find out where the
>> temperature
>> setting is at for this shutdown.  Hints would be much appreciated.)
>>

> Get a can of compressed air and blow it through your fan openings if you
> can.  This may clear out some of the dust and give you some more working
> room for temp as well.

The BIOS setup should have something like "Hardware Monitor" or "PC
Health Status" that will have the sensors display, and nearby should be
the settings for the fans and temperature alarm levels.

Be *Very Careful* of course.

Setting the overheat shutdown temperature too high could irrevocably
damage your CPU and/or other chips on the motherboard.

I wouldn't happen to be a dell machine BTW?

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury