Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 28 20:22:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:23:29AM +0000, Mike wrote:

> I guess that I made an error when doing the install by selecting not to
> install grub in rawhide - what I did not want was to overwrite the existing
> grub on the mbr

You _may_ boot few different distributions from the same boot
directory and with the same grub.  The catch is that kernel updates
become then a very delicate operation and may need "a manual touchup".

> - but really wanted to install the grub files in /boot
> on the rawhide partition, but leave the mbr alone.

So you are installing grub then not on mbr but on a corresponding
partition.  Chainloading that from your "first level" menu
works much nicer.

> One question - can I install grub in the rawhide partition even though I
> cannot currently boot to it?  > i.e. can I copy the grub files from the
> F8 /boot directory to the rawhide partition /boot and get it to work?

There is more to a grub installation than just copying files.
OTOH nothing prevents you from installing grub on a given partition
even if it already installed somewhere else.  Try

    info grub installation 'Installing GRUB natively'

and read what will show up.

   Michal