Determine Fedora Version

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 23:40:33 UTC 2008

Leon Stringer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if I'm being a bit dim here. I've got various Fedora systems and have just wasted time trying to install packages on the wrong version (I was tired!).
>
> But then I thought, how does a user determine what version of Fedora they're using? If I do System->About Fedora I get  explanatory text but nothing about the version.
>
> I know advanced users can do uname or query package versions but there should be an easy/obvious way. People writing the About text for Fedora 9, please take note. (Or just change the menu item text to "About Fedora 9").
>
> TTFN,
>
> Leon...

This is a very good point.  I suggest you take the idea and file an RFE bug
against the component 'fedora-release-notes', this is that package that supplies
the 'About Fedora' system menu item (/usr/share/applications/about-fedora.desktop).

A user should not need to cat /etd/redhat-release to find out what version of
their desktop OS they have, adding just the release number after About Fedora
would be a nice touch.