Fwd: closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 20:44:19 UTC 2008

Thanks for all of your work on this so far!

Jon Stanley said the following on 01/04/2008 12:11 PM Pacific Time:
> As part of a re-launch of the bug triage project [1,2], I believe that
> it would be beneficial to mass close the bugs that are for releases
> that are no longer maintained.  Please find my proposal for this
> below.  Sorry for cross-posting, but it's relevant across multiple
> communities within Fedora.
>
> I will be at FUDCon in order to discuss the very topic of the
> re-launch of the triage project.
>
> [1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-January/msg00009.html
> [2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2008-January/msg00000.html

In addition, how about a link to this email-thread explaining why this
action is considered necessary (e.g. we need to clear the deck, etc.)?

> We therefore regret the necessity of closing this bug report WONTFIX.
> Please upgrade to a currently maintained release of Fedora, currently
> either Fedora 7 or Fedora 8, and attempt to reproduce this bug.  If
> the bug still exists, feel free to re-open this bug report, changing
> the version accordingly, or file a new bug report (you can use the
> 'Clone as Bug' link at the top of this bug report in order to preserve
> the content of this bug in the new one).

s/'Fedora 7 or Fedora 8'/'Fedora 8 or rawhide'  My hunch is that if
someone says "this is still broken in Fedora 7", a developer would
naturally ask next, "how about in Fedora 8 or rawhide?"  Save them a
step and some frustration.

John