kernel-2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9 cannot boot (system hang)

Osman Omar Osman.Omar at ap.sony.com
Mon Jan 7 10:32:08 UTC 2008

I do yum update against fedora development, so I think I install latest
package. Do you mean I need to build initrd.img manually?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 02:26:48 -0800
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Osman Omar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using kernel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8. I update to
> > kernel-2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9. During boot, it just hang. On screen
> > I can see many error "No such file or directory"
> >
> > Below are some of the error

> > Mounting root filesystem.
> > mount: count not find filesystem '/dev/root'
>
> Looks like you've got a bad initrd image without the proper drivers for your
> hardware.  To move from the fc8 to fc9 kernel you'll be needing to get the new
> mkinitrd package I think as well, did you do that?  You may need to uninstall
> the kernel, update mkinitrd, then reinstall the kernel.  If that fails you might
> have to try building the initrd manually.
>
> --
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>
>   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 fingerprint CDEC 6FAD BA27 40DF 707E A2E0 F0F6 E622 C99B 1DF3
> No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer
>
> --

OSMAN Omar
Product Safety Section / QR/CS Div.
Sony EMCS (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. (PG Tec)
DID: +6-04-3835107

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone and destroy the original message. - This mail is sent via Sony Asia Pacific Mail Gateway.