named: unrecognized service?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Jan 8 00:06:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 07:46:03 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 07:46:51 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> >
> >> Something a bit strange here (this is F8 with all updates):
> >>
> >> /sbin/service named status
> >> named: unrecognized service
> >>
> >> sudo /sbin/chkconfig named --list
> >> named           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> >
> > Don't stop there yet. Does /etc/init.d/named exist? Is the
>
> Oh, Michael Michael
>
> chkconfig doesn't find it if it doesn't exist.

Without testing (or fetching and reading the source as it is a binary not
a script) I was unable to tell when and how it examines the files and
symlinks and to what extend it strictly needs a chkconfig-specific header
in the initscript. And even when testing with a non-existant "blah"
service, maybe chkconfig would have given different results only when
finding run-level symlinks.

I wanted Neal to dig a little deeper and find the problem himself. My
small set of questions lead to enough details to locate the problem.

> [summer at potoroo ~]$ sudo /sbin/chkconfig named --list
> error reading information on service named: No such file or directory
> [summer at potoroo ~]$
>
> > bind package installed? What do you get for "stat /etc/rc5.d/S*named*"?
>
> How is that relevant to the immediate problem? I don't see how the
> presence of that symlink matters to the command that failed.

With a result like

  $ /sbin/service blah status
  blah: unrecognized service

on F8 and following "grep unrec /sbin/service", my first assumption
was not that the initscript was lacking -x permission, but that it
was missing.

> Besides, chkconfig has already checked those symlinks, that's how it
> reported:
> named           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

It checked the symlinks, but didn't report their timestamps and
targets.