Latest rawhide update killed xorg nv driver

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:37:55 UTC 2008

Robert McBroom (TNWestTex) wrote:
>> gjohnson5 wrote:
>>
>> My laptop had the same issue.  If you are using the official NVIDIA drivers
>> then the X server may not work.  I had to switch to the NV driver (which is
>> provided by Fedora) and that corrected the problem.  I will try to
>> re-install the official NVIDIA drivers
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.07.html [1]
>>
>> If I have read correctly that the official NVIDIA drivers do work now
>>

> The official NVIDIA drivers don't work for me.
> Legacy 71.86.01 driver installer doesn't find the source on Fedora F9.  Riva TNT2 card.  kernel-2.6.24-0.150.rc7  Is the funky designation for the release candidate kernel the problem?  I see there is a December update on NVIDIA for the newer cards but September with F8 is the latest for the legacy cards.

This reply went only off list the first time I sent, so reposting.

Pardon the obvious question, but do you have kernel-devel installed?  The nvidia
driver should be finding what it needs at:
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/

which is symlinked to /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`-`uname -m`

Look and see if you've actually got these files in place.  For your kernel uname
-r should be giving '2.6.24-0.150.rc7' so the rc naming should not cause a problem.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>