yum update in rawhide after a long break [was Re: rawhide report: 20080114 changes]

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jan 24 02:31:19 UTC 2008

Jim Cornette wrote, On 01/23/2008 09:08 PM:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>> Jim Cornette wrote, On 01/14/2008 06:07 PM:

>>> You may need to do this upgrade incremental. Also make sure that you
>>> are running yum from a virtual terminal instead of through a terminal
>>> in the GUI. Chances are that X will crash and yum will have left a
>>> mess in the aftermath.
>>> I prefer to upgrade the glibc items first and then everything
>>> incrementally except do not update the kernel until the later portion
>>> of the update.
>>>

>> I have a propensity to `yum update yum* rpm* cpio gpg` before I update
>> much else on the system...
>> That bit me this time.
>>

> I do not update yum initially because of past failures. I guess it is
> still a good idea to wait until the bulk of packages is upgraded.

learning.

>> apparently the yum-3.2.8-2.fc9 rpm set got something wrong.
>
> If it depends upon a certain version of python it should have pulled it
> in or refused to pull in yum,

Actually, it does not seem to be a python problem so much as a problem in
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-5.fc9.i386.rpm with _sqlitecache.so ... see my next
paragraph from (my first email in this thread today) and
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178870

>> so it looks like I am going to be doing an `rpm -Fvh *` in my Rawhide
>> mirror, updating openssl just pulls in too many dependencies.... and
>> after that failed ... a little googleing ended up at:
>> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178870
>> by pulling the _sqlitecache.so (and just that file) from a
>> yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-1.fc8.i386.rpm, at least lets yum try to
>> update 731 packages. [It looks like it may have worked, but <deity>
>> only knows how much on the raw side of rawhide the machine is now.]
>
> It should pull in the newer packages correctly I would expect.
>

>> the yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-5.fc9.i386.rpm must then be the package
>> with the problem.???
>>
>> while update was running I was seeing lines like
>> I/O warning: failed to load external entity
>> "/etc/gconf/schemas/gdm-simple-greeter.schemas"
>> next line indicates No such file or directory.
>> (and most of them seemed to be gconf related... to bad I did not log
>> the update with errors to a file.)
>
> It exists on rawhide. At least for my setup.
> locate gdm-simple-greeter.schemas
> /etc/gconf/schemas/gdm-simple-greeter.schemas

seems to be there now (with a date of 2008-01-18, so it's new), I was just
seeing the above errors during the update.

>> so anyone got any good suggestions to figure out what is likely broken
>> besides running (and running every package on the system)
>> package-cleanup --problems
>> #indicates glibc requires glibc-common-2.7-2 and 2.7.90-4 is installed
>> rpm -qa --last|grep glibc # shows glibc-2.7-2 and glibc-2.7.90-4
>> installed
>
> package-cleanup --cleandupes might work. I would prefer downolading the
> rpm and running rpm --replacepkgs --replacefiles on the later rpm. Both
> should work.
I have the rpm, but I think I will hold of till morning before doing either of
the above.
> Try running rpm -qV on both packages and most likely files are missing
> from the earlier version.

rpm -V glibc-2.7-2
shows lots of files with problems
rpm -V glibc-2.7.90
shows a few files with problems in size and md5sum, and /lib/libc-2.7.90.so is
one of them.

> Someone indicated on the Fedora list that the --replacefiles option is
> not good for some reason. They seem to have no negative outcomes for me.
> I don't customize many files though for packages.
>
>> any clean way to clean THAT up, or am I back to installing 7.92 and
>> carefully updating from there (no http to new rawhide iso's)? assuming
>> that an rpm -e on any glibc is a badddd thing.
>>
>> package-cleanup --dupes
>> and
>> package-cleanup --orphans
>>
> If you are going to start from the beginning you might as well install
> from rawhide or from your local mirror of rawhide.

My local mirror of rawhide is on an ext3 formated USB hard drive... I suppose
I could have a machine export it out nfs, but it annoys me that anaconda can't
work with it just as well local.
Oh, and what do I use as a boot disk for a rawhide anaconda installer?

Thanks for all your feedback.
--
Todd Denniston