software update keeps asking for the media

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 03:00:22 UTC 2008

Fulko Hew wrote:
> I'm trying to help someone (and I've seen it myself sometimes)...
>
> On a newly installed system, it will probably come up and say
> there are updates pending.  When you let it continue to
> start the update process, it come up with a dialog box that
> asks you for the installation media and allows you to either:
> cancel, edit repo, continue.
>
> I seems that sometimes, even if you've inserted the media
> and press continue, it will still come back and ask for the
> media again (without even checking for the media).
>
> In the end... this guy can't update his system, because
> it keeps asking for media, and keeps ignore the media.
>
> And like I said, I've seen this too, but then sometimes,
> and I don't know the condition, it does work, and then
> it works for ever more.
>
> Any comments, clues, or suggestions?

If you go to /etc/yum.repos.d/ you'll find a .repo file for the installation
media.  That is there to make it easier to handle getting some files from the
media rather than download for slow connections, might as well use files you
should have on the media right?  Well if you have no media you don't want this
file...

You can disable it, or delete it, or move it, up to you.  To disable it you can add:
enabled=0