Wireless (ath5k) problem kernel-2.6.24-2.fc9

Steven I Usdansky usdanskys at rocketmail.com
Sun Jan 27 12:39:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:09:33 +0100
"Joachim Frieben" <joachim.frieben at googlemail.com> attempted to state:

> On Jan 26, 2008 9:13 PM, Steven I Usdansky <usdanskys at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ~# modprobe ath5k
> > FATAL: Error inserting ath5k
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.24-2.fc9/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/ath5k.ko):
> > Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>

> Here, everythings works as expected. I can load the module and play around
> with my WLAN adapter up to the point of scanning for nearby APs which fails
> because of missing support for my very hardware. Sounds like you're dragging
> along some custom parameters from a prior madwifi setup. It's certainly not
> the kernel's fault.

Two questions:
1. Where might these custom parameters be located?
2. Why would they affect the ath5k device when my madwifi setup refers
to device ath0?

I have not compiled the madwifi driver for the new kernel, and the only
reference to the ath5k device in modprobe.conf is the line
   options ath5k autocreate=sta

--
Steven I. Usdansky, PhD
Traveling Geologist