FSTAB Hell

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 28 12:37:25 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>>> If some problem develops with /etc/fstab Fedora stops loading
>>> and offers to either invoke a single user shell or reboot.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the single user shell is on a readonly filesystem.
>>> This defeats the purpose of going single user to fix it, doesn't it?
>>
>> No.
>> Your inability to cope is the issue. It's not hard to fsck as you
>> think necessary (which requires do), to mount rw if you need to edit
>> fstab.
>>
>> Best you learn to read the documentation before whining here.
>
> You know John, while thats possibly accurate, this is the test list for
> people who are volunteering to let updates break their system to ask
> questions on; its where breakage whine is supposed to be.

It's even more important that people read their documentation and learn
to rely on their own problem-solving skills rather than on others'.

Many times I've done things likely to break Linux systems, and I learned
by reading up on how to fix them again.  Installing glibc for RHL 6.0 on
RHL 5.2 was just one of them.

--

Cheers
John