The Problem with NFS Installs

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Jan 29 23:38:53 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf at omen.com> said:
> Some such as I are used to thinking of NFS in terms of shares.
> That's how we export them. That's how we mount them.
>
> So when the installer asks for a server name, I naturally enter
> 192.168.1.13:/x because that is what I export.  And naturally
> I enter /fc9/os which is relative to the share in question.
>
> It should be made clear that the NFS install uses syntax one
> would associate with ftp, not NFS.  Perferably with a hint,
> but at least a clear example in the documentation.

Calling it "server name" and "path" is a pretty clear hint.  I don't
call my server "disk:/data/mirror", I call it "disk".  Also, the
installer doesn't use an arbitrary division in the path that you are
creating; it mounts /x/fc9/os (NFS exports allow you to mount
subdirectories of the export).  The installer doesn't need to know or
care that you export /x and fc9/os is a subdirectory.

When you specify an NFS install on the boot command line or in a
kickstart, it is just server:/path/to/tree.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>