Bug Triage: Call for Action (and a meeting)

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 08:40:54 UTC 2008

2008/7/1 Brennan Ashton <bashton at brennanashton.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 22:36 +0000, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 14:50 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>> > Greetings Bug Triagers,
>> >
>> > Thanks to those of you that came to the bug triage session at FUDCon a
>> > couple of Saturdays back.  Hopefully it was helpful and you'd still like
>> > to join us.  Things have gotten slightly better here
>> > http://tinyurl.com/4cavl2 but we still need your help!
>> >
>> > Our weekly bug triage meeting hasn't happened for several weeks and we'd
>> > like to resume them again.  Some of us were tied up with other things
>> > and some people were unable to make the time.  Also after having a few
>> > meetings with one or two people it seemed unclear how best to proceed.
>> >
>> > So.... we know there are a lot of people interested in bug triage but
>> > past meeting attendance hasn't been  good so we'd like to try and fix
>> > that.  At least two or three people sign up for the 'fedorabugs' group
>> > every day so there is a disconnect there somewhere we need to fix.  And
>> > if you think weekly meetings aren't the way to go and there is a better
>> > way to proceed please put it forward.
>>
>> I wonder -- do you think that having evening meetings might help?  To
>> know whether it would matter, we might want to find out how many people
>> who want to triage don't show up because they can't find time during the
>> work day.  Our experience in the Docs Project was that weeknights were
>> generally good, and weekends were decidedly bad.
>
> I think the issue with evenings is timezone. if we say 5:30 PDT that is
> 8:30 EST and the people in the middle are being pulled away from there
> computers to eat dinner with there other family. That is what the matrix
> will show.

There is no easy answer to this. I appreciate things can get very
U.S.-centric but please don't forget that there is an entire planet's
time zones to take into account. This must be the case if a more
global effort is to be considered.

I think its also the case that people lead busy lives and simply
forget. If SIGS are to have meetings then they should consider
creating a calendar to subscribe to, make that stand out on the main
$SIG page and also consider some kind of reminder email system ???

Regards

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com