Problems with Firefox

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Fri Jul 18 22:28:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 23:37 +0200, Joerg Bergmann wrote:
> uname -r:
> 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686
> Today, I got problems with updating. Obviously, the security updates
> for firefox 3.0.1 could not be installed for some reason. I have gone
> onto install/remove software and found firefox 3.0.0 or so installed.
> I removed that firefox and tried to install 3.0.1. Got an error message
> alike
> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9 is needed by
> package totem-mozplugin-2.23.2-4.fc9.i386 (installed)
> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9 is needed by
> package nspluginwrapper-1.1.0-2.fc9.i386 (installed)
>
> At that point, I have no firefox installed. Seems I have to
> re-install Fedora 9, or are there any hints?

The original problem is a dependency that was missed with gecko-libs in
the last update. Hopefully that will be fixed soon. Worst case is as
soon as it gets fixed you'll be able to reinstall the latest version of
firefox.

In the meantime, have a look to see if there's a copy of the older
version in your Yum cache (usually /var/cache/yum/fedora/packages). If
you get lucky, the older version might still be in there. You could then
install it directly...

Good luck!

Chris

--
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.

-- Charles Schultz