platform specific sigsegv.h

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 3 01:06:05 UTC 2008

gjohnson5 wrote:
> I thank you for your concern and comments on how you would manage your
> system.
> If you have any questions as far as the installation of the relevant package
> I will gladly answer them
>
> How my disk is partitioned or where I place symlinks does not seem relevant
> to the issue I posted.
> But thank you for posting your concerns,

I'm simply referring you to the standards; if you created that package
for your own private use, that's one matter and entirely your affair.

OTOH, if someone, anyone, created it for distribution (including to
you), then it ought comply with established Linux standards. If that is
the case, then it becomes a matter of concern to all Linux users,
whether they know it or not. If you don't want /usr to be shareable, ro
that's fine, but if you (as some do) want to share /usr between a
thousand virtual penguins you might care a great deal.

I saw no evidence that it was, apparently, doing stuff in /usr/local was
in any way related to your symlinks.

fwiw I use /var/local for shared (on the same system and for nfs-export)
data such as my mirrored repos. It's entirely the administrator's affair
what goes in there, so I can expect that RH/Fedora, SUSE, Debian et al
will keep right out of it.

--

Cheers
John