First step at useful metrics

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 13:55:56 UTC 2008

> John Poelstra (poelstra at redhat.com) said:
> > We've been searching for long time for a way to accurately reflect the
> > seem like a reasonable way to measure bug triager participation and
> > recognize the top performers?
>
> Why not steal the GNOME bz points code?
>
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=points.html

Great link Bill!  Do you know if this a gnome custom extension to
bugzilla or included in upstream bugzilla?

It's really helpful to see other approaches at gathering the data in
order to appropriately reward top contributors.  It appears that the
gnome metrics capture:
 * how bugs come into (bugs.reporter) the world
 * # of comments (from longdescs.who)
 * how bugs leave the world (CLOSED) - not sure how gathered

The data noted in John's attachment I believe is intended to provide
more visibility on the different state changes a bug goes through during
it's life cycle (bug_activity).  How that information is interpreted
likely depends on the role of the individual, the product being
inspected, and the date range queried for that product.

> The current formula for points (remember, this is subject to change on
> the whim of the bugmasters) is:
>
>         log_10(1 + #comments) + log_2(1 + #bugs_closed) + log_2(1 +
>         #bugs_reported)

Using the gnome bz "points" concept (aka karma) ... can one formula work
across all SIGs?  Or would a tester weight it's formula differently than
a kernel developer?

Thanks,
James

 James Laska         -- jlaska at redhat.com