Sound broken outside of gnome

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 23:52:56 UTC 2008

I just did a fresh install of F9 64 bit.  I then upgraded to rawhide
(from a fairly minimal install, no testing in F9).

Running mplayer will work, that is if I play an ogg file from command
line.  However, if I try to view a flash movie in youtube, I have no
sound in fluxbox or kde.

However, in gnome, sound works as it should.

It's an Acer laptop, using the snd_hda_intel module.

What does gnome have that the others lack?  (Insert incoherent rant about
far too many things being tied to gnome, and constantly having to google
to get basic things working if you choose to run a different desktop.)

At this point, I haven't yet researched the problem, as I'm
hoping there's a simple answer.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Mayor Wilkins: She's pretty, Angel. A little skinny. Still
don't understand why it couldn't work out with you and my Faith. I
guess you kinda just have strange tastes in women.
Angel: Yeah, well, what can I say? I like 'em sane.