Moving panel icons in rawhide kde?

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:42:54 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:

> OpenSUSE, we applied it to the Fedora 9 KDE too) for KDE 4.0, which
> hasn't been ported to 4.1 yet. This is one of the things we want to sort
> out before pushing  KDE 4.1 to Fedora 9. (Actually we were hoping this
> would get implemented directly in upstream 4.1, but now it looks like
> we'll have to patch this again.) Rawhide is Rawhide, minor breakage like
> this is sorta expected in Rawhide.

Yeah - I know - which is why I mentioned it - if no-one brings it up then
I guess it could well be lost along the way!

Thanks and hope the patch goes in upstream at some point - surely the
kde devs would see this is an important step in bringing back the kind
of functionality that users would expect from a slick desktop.

It is good to have a nice modern look and ease of coding in the new scheme
but it is also just as essential to ensure good user functionality otherwise
people may not continue using it. I have really been a long-standing fan
of KDE through to 3.5, and I know that KDE4 promises it will be up to the
mark or beyond given time - I hope that is the case.

I wonder if kick-off will also get an enhancement to the way it is used
and to reduce the number of clicks needed to get to an app of interest.
I know the "classic" alternative is available - but it is still currently
a bit frustrating the way it works and I use the classic one more than the
new kick-off as a result.

We also need an easy way to add a launcher to give an icon (either on the
desktop or on the panel) to launch a script which the user creates. This
is not just desirable - it is essential functionality - I would guess
many of the long-standing KDE users would need this?

I am looking forward to seeing the good things in KDE4 - and in Fedora
as soon as possible - I have not used Gnome for years!