Moving panel icons in rawhide kde?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 9 12:18:39 UTC 2008

Mike <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Yeah - I know - which is why I mentioned it - if no-one brings it up then
> I guess it could well be lost along the way!

Sorry, but it was completely pointless to bring this up again. We already have
a bug filed for that, I reopened it as soon as I upgraded kdebase-workspace to
4.1 and had to drop the patch for now and I'm very well aware of this issue.

> Thanks and hope the patch goes in upstream at some point - surely the
> kde devs would see this is an important step in bringing back the kind
> of functionality that users would expect from a slick desktop.

Unfortunately, they appear to consider this a "new feature" and want to add
this only in 4.2 at the earliest. :-(

> I wonder if kick-off will also get an enhancement to the way it is used
> and to reduce the number of clicks needed to get to an app of interest.
> I know the "classic" alternative is available - but it is still currently
> a bit frustrating the way it works and I use the classic one more than the
> new kick-off as a result.

IMHO Kickoff is broken by design. YMMV.

> We also need an easy way to add a launcher to give an icon (either on the
> desktop or on the panel) to launch a script which the user creates. This
> is not just desirable - it is essential functionality - I would guess
> many of the long-standing KDE users would need this?

KDE 4.1 will have a folderview applet which will be pointed to ~/Desktop by
default, that should make desktop icons work better. There's also a quicklaunch
applet (i.e. the icons on the panel) being worked on, but it appears not to
have made 4.1 (which is now feature-frozen), it's still in playground.

        Kevin Kofler