kernel Framebuffer for Intel Q965 & Xen: intel-agp && intelfb

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 10 06:31:46 UTC 2008

I'm trying this on f9 and on Tikanga-clone.

I want xen and framebuffer both on a couple of HP DC7700s: one is
running f9, the other a RHEL5 clone.

xen and framebuffer work together on older Intel chipsets such as this:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02)

one merely needs to modprobe intelfb and Bob's your uncle.

intelfb does not support this, found in the HP computers:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I was hacking on intelfb with the plan of making it treat the Q965 just
like a 945G, but on looking for some specs (to do with aperture size)
discovered a mention of the Q965 on LKML. From quite a while ago.

It transpires that someone (Dave Jones? his name's in the source as
author) added Q965 support to intel-agp.

atm kernel-xen for f9 doesn't boot (and I tried an f10 kernel just in
hopes), so I'm a little bit stuck there.

Now, Q965 seems to be in Tikanga's intel-agp, and the driver's built in
- not a module.

Does anyone here
1. Have any handy hints
2. Know how/whether intel-agp plays with others
3. Know why intelfb doesn't have Q965 support though intel-agp does?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait