gnome desktop effects with Radeon 2600 series

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Mon Jun 16 08:14:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 02:04:30PM -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Since clicking Enable Desktop Effects returns a msg "Desktop Effects Cannot
> Be Enabled," is it correct to assume that since X finds:
>
> (--) PCI:*(0 at 1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV630 [Radeon HD 2600 Series] rev
> 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/0, 0xfe8e0000/0, I/O @ 0x0000b000/0, BIOS @
> 0x????????/131072
>
> and later reports:
>
> (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro" (ChipID = 0x9589)
> (WW) RADEON(0): R600 support is mostly incomplete and very experimental
>
> and
>
> (==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
> (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
> (EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
>
> that this graphics chipset does not yet support gnome desktop effects?

The chipset supports all kinds of effects. it's just that the driver doesn't,
at least not yet. But now that AMD has released R600 docs, we might be looking
forward to some developments in this area in the near future. You might also
try the new "radeonhd" driver, though I fear it's equally incomplete so far.

Regards,

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>  |  LAN  Staff
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling