How can we speed up rpm downloads?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 03:35:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 10:24 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 08:08 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> >> I don't think either downloads in parallel, and if your internet is
> >> running at its rated speed, that is likely the bottleneck do running
> >> two, three or more downloads in parallel will serve only to choke
> >> your
> >> self. And waste server resources.
> >
> > apt-get does run several downloads in parallel. This makes sense when
> > some servers can only server data at a rate lower than the connection
> > bandwidth, which does happen particularly with high-traffic sites.
>
> I use apt-get regularly, I also have some Debian systems, and the
> progress meter doesn't reflect parallel downloads.

I have an Ubuntu system in the office and apt-get definitely does do
parallel downloads when updating its database ('update'), but I'm less
sure about downloading packages ('upgrade'). It's an Internet 2
connection which is very fast so maybe it can't be bothered :-). Adept
and synaptic are the same. I've also used apt-get on Fedora (a few years
back) and it definitely did parallel downloads of packages, probably
from different servers.

poc