Crashing Fedora with Wine

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 22:53:47 UTC 2008

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I have crashed Fedora 8 (up to date withyum) on an AMD 6000
> by doing unusual things with Wine.
>
> Using a VNC remote deskop, "wine -V" (or was it "wine -v") nailed
> Fedora.
>
> Again using a VNC remote desktop, I successfully ran W6ELProp.exe
> with the command "wine  W6ELProp.exe" .  After using the propagation
> program successfully, I set focus to the window from which I ran
> Wine and hot Control-C to terminate Wine.  This too nailed Fedora.
>
> In the second instance it appeared that Fedora was still forwarding
> internet traffic after it crashed.  But everything else had stopped
> and the console keyboard was dead.  I have a picture of the
> diagnostics on the console screen available.
>
> The same situation running on an Intel Core Duo doesn't seem
> to cause any problems.

There were comments about this happening on F9 during the dev cycle as well.  I
could get it to crash while trying to install itunes and get what seemed like a
kernel level crash except it would still be pushing network traffic (I don't
know if the traffic was garbage or not since no daemons would respond to
incoming traffic, it only pushed traffic out).

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29