Is it possible to speed up yum.

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 00:32:03 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 6/17/08, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Read my post again. I deliberately set this up so that
> neither machine
> was fetching new information from its repos, so network
> considerations
> do not enter into it. Obviously a proper benchmark
> comparison would need
> to ensure that both machines have essentially the same set
> of packages
> installed and I didn't bother doing that, but the
> wallclock time
> difference in this specific example is more than 10 to 1
> and I can
> assure you that the Fedora machine does not have even twice
> as many
> packages as the Ubuntu one. Does this cosmically speaking
> matter? I've
> no idea. I've no agenda to promote apt-get over yum or
> vice versa. It's
> just a data point.
>
> poc
>
> --

Yes, I saw that there was no fetching of packages in either case, but I threw it into the mix.  It should not matter though, as the OS's are different each with its strengths and weaknessess.  There is no need to promote one over the other.  We use what we have at hand in each OS to do the job.

In the comparison you made clearly, apt was faster than yum, but as long as they do the job, it should not make much of a difference.

Regards,

Antonio