Is it possible to speed up yum.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:02:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 09:21 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> The plugin that I'd point to first as having an impact pre-sack-setup is
> fastestmirror. If you disable onlt that one do you see it?
>
> -sv

Hm... I am a bit interested in yum speed as well, it does not seem to be
very fast, especially during dependency resolutions... Wouldn't it be
faster if it were written in C instead of python? :-/

Here are some measurements by me (the only part that takes really long
to proceed in empty yum update is the Setting up Update Process one; the
first one is apparently not run from cache)...

[root at pc-notebook ~]# yum -d3 info yum | grep 'time:'
Config time: 1.057
rpmdb time: 0.000
pkgsack time: 6.152
[root at pc-notebook ~]# yum -d3 info yum | grep 'time:'
Config time: 0.514
rpmdb time: 0.000
pkgsack time: 1.114
[root at pc-notebook ~]# yum -d3 info yum | grep 'time:'
Config time: 0.477
rpmdb time: 0.001
pkgsack time: 1.107
[root at pc-notebook ~]# yum -d3 info yum | grep 'time:'
Config time: 0.489
rpmdb time: 0.000
pkgsack time: 1.139
[root at pc-notebook ~]# yum --noplugins -d3 info yum | grep 'time:'
Config time: 0.477
rpmdb time: 0.002
pkgsack time: 1.138
[root at pc-notebook ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root at pc-notebook ~]# time yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real	0m9.963s
user	0m3.951s
sys	0m0.300s
[root at pc-notebook ~]# time yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real	0m9.238s
user	0m3.943s
sys	0m0.286s
[root at pc-notebook ~]# time yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real	0m9.432s
user	0m3.933s
sys	0m0.320s
[root at pc-notebook ~]# time yum --noplugins update
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real	0m9.361s
user	0m3.946s
sys	0m0.302s
[root at pc-notebook ~]# time yum --noplugins update
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real	0m9.254s
user	0m3.931s
sys	0m0.298s
[root at pc-notebook ~]# time yum --noplugins update
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real	0m9.769s
user	0m3.993s