kdeedu in 4.0.82 requiring openoffice?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 20 15:25:38 UTC 2008

Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi <at> gmail.com> writes:
> trying to test kde 4.0.82 in my F9 system, that has no F9-kde on it at the
> moment. I know that the method below is not guaranteed to work and that can
> break things, but it seems that the command yum --enablerepo=rawhide
> groupupdate "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
> wants to upgrade openoffice.org too:
> --> Processing Dependency: libboost_python-mt.so.3()(64bit) for package:
kdeedu
> --> Processing Dependency: libicui18n.so.40()(64bit) for package: boost
> --> Processing Dependency: libicui18n.so.38()(64bit) for package:
openoffice.org-core

This is why we don't support selective upgrades from Rawhide.

What happens here should be clear from the yum output:
> --> Processing Dependency: libboost_python-mt.so.3()(64bit) for package:
kdeedu
1. kdeedu requires boost.
2. kdeedu in Rawhide is built against the version of boost in Rawhide, which is
not ABI-compatible with the version in F9, so boost has to be upgraded.
> --> Processing Dependency: libicui18n.so.40()(64bit) for package: boost
3. boost requires icu.
4. boost in Rawhide is built against the version of icu in Rawhide, which is
not ABI-compatible with the version in F9, so icu has to be upgraded.
> --> Processing Dependency: libicui18n.so.38()(64bit) for package:
openoffice.org-core
5. But openoffice.org also requires icu.
6. openoffice in F9 is built against the version of icu in F9, which is not
ABI-compatible with the version in Rawhide, so to be able to upgrade icu,
openoffice.org also has to be upgraded.
And that's the fatal dependency chain which drags in OO.o from Rawhide (which
is OO.o 3, which is not ready for production use yet, so I really don't
recommend to confirm this transaction). Note that kdeedu doesn't require OO.o,
but they both require a common library (icu), so you can't upgrade one without
the other.

This is exactly why you should NEVER use --enablerepo=rawhide. KDE 4.1 beta
packages (currently 4.0.82) built for F9 are available from the kde-redhat
unstable repository.

        Kevin Kofler