Still no NFS install

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sat Jun 28 07:21:25 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 18:30 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> I rsynched fc10 today and burned boot.iso.
>>
>> Diskboot.img mentioned in the README was missing.
>>
>> I tried both gui and text install and did not see any way
>> to specify an NFS install.
>>
>> And of course since Fedora so wisely reformats the hard drive
>> before doing anything, updating the drive is not an option.
>>
>> I am hoping Fedora 10 will eventually be a smoothly installing and
>> functioning system as is Fedora 8.
>
> Last time I tried a rawhide install, was few days ago (maybe last week)
> and got the same thing.  Not option (at all actually) to do any kind of
> install (like it skipped that step) and the screen eventually goes blank
> (right when starting to install or checking deps or something along
> those lines) and that's it.
>
> BTW, might get better comments/answers/thoughts if you submitted these
> type problems to the devel-list instead.

I just finished a successful NFS based install!

You have to put a "repo=nfs:host.dom.ain:/root/of/tree" on the command
line to the anaconda boot.

Then it goes through the usual sequence, but the step after bring up the
network skips over asking for the NFS repository (since it was on the
command line).

This was mentioned in the fedora-anaconda list just this week.

I still agree with Chuck that the disk commit should occur after the
software selection process.  When I asked why on the anaconda list, I
got some vague handwaving about the developers preferences for sequences.

There still isn't a shutdown or restart option in the GNOME System menu.
I've taken to loggin out and selecting restart from the GDM menus.

GNOME still doesn't remember sessions options at all.

KSensors and KGPGWallet still come up with GNOME.

mostly annoyances, nothing fatal that I've found yet.