[OT] kde4 and compiz-fusion

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:49:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:47:06 +0200 drago01 wrote
>You have to install compiz-kde and start kde4-window-decorator too (or use
the "desktop-effects" tool)

Thanks but the problem was about not-readiness features in 1)radeon driver,
2) dri support for r500 in kernel version, 3) libdrm and 4) mesa version.
Now it all works perfectly (almost reached what already was in latest Beryl
and FC7... ;-)  after updating these components at these levels:

libdrm-2.4.0-0.12.fc9.i386.rpm and xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.0-16.fc9.i386.rpm
from updates-testing
kernel and Mesa as pointed at http://airlied.livejournal.com/#item60797

It works well with fusion-icon, both in gnome and kde (4.0.80 from rawhide)
and also kde embedded desktop effects.

Hope to see testing packages for compiz 0.7.6...... it promises even better
then the 0.7.2 I'm using now
The only problem I seem to have after some testing is with mplayer when
switching from window mode to full screen for an mkv file (1920x800
resolution) using a widescreen 22" monitor at 1650x1080.
Instead totem with xine backend doesn't suffer this.
With mplayer I get black screen with pointer able to move around but pc is
frozen: hard reset needed

Probably also radeonhd driver just pushet to updates-testing will have 3D
for me (but for sure not xvideo that instead radeon has)

Just I hope I would have time to compare on the same machine an installed
fc8 with latest fglrx from livna and f9 configured as above with the radeon
driver.
Only compared glxgears that gives about 10.000 frames with fglrx and 5.200
with radeon (500 previously without hw accel).
But it seems it is not a true test...(?)
Just verified that openarena runs quite well in f9-radeon so I'm going to
compare framerate with it too ... ;-)

Gianluca