OOo templates and such

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 11 17:50:50 UTC 2008

I found this in a link on the bash page I just mentioned. If there's a
wannabe developer/packager here with an interest in office software,
collating templates etc, maybe finding them a home, checking licences
and packaging them for use with OOo is something you might consider.

"Stubbornly, OpenOffice.org continues to ship with only a handful of
templates. Despite the efforts of several sub-projects and individuals
to change the situation, the standard OpenOffice.org download includes
only a couple of slide show presentations and a few templates to
accompany the wizards available in the file menu. This lack of templates
is a serious handicap for many users, and often leaves a poor impression
on new users who are accustomed to the selection of templates found in
other office suites."
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/openofficeorg-template-collections

Something to bear in mind is that while some like "Letter" size paper, a
lot of people don't have it (and a lot of printers insist on user's
confirming their intent when asked to print a "Letter" document on "A4"
paper).

If someone here has a good contact in Sun, you might point out how silly
this licence looks when applied to free software:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/license/273

--

Cheers
John