What is rawhide for?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 17:49:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 13:31 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> 3) Host several days of rawhide
>
> Continue mirroring just 'rawhide' latest ... no change there.  However,
> begin hosting timestamp'd daily copies of rawhide.
>
> rawhide -> rawhide-20080604
> rawhide-20080604
> rawhide-20080603
> rawhide-20080602
> rawhide-20080601
>
> The idea here being we have a working rawhide for at least several days
> in order to walk through a test matrix.
>
> Jesse: You know the internals of the mirroring, you probably have better
> insight to say why this isn't done, and perhaps why we don't want this.

Mostly that this can balloon into several hundred gigs worth of extra
data quite quickly depending on the changes.  Bear in mind that a single
Openoffice.org build consumes 5.1 gigs of disk space.  5.1gigs.  A
single build.  As I look through the build history, I see rawhide builds
on the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc...  That's over 25gigs
just in one package.  Obviously oo.org is an extreme example but there
is a very real size issue to be concerned with, and much more mirror
churn to deal with and a larger barrier of entry for new mirrors.

Now somebody is going to say something about deltas, and that's great
for the rpm consumer, but realistically we're going to have to store the
full rpms somewhere and mirror those around.

Now, storing multiple copies of just boot.iso somewhere may be just as
valuable (since you're really after the stable installer image) and much
easier to accomplish.  It's only a few hundred megs of extra data to
contend with.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!