Is it possible to speed up yum.

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 22:26:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 10:37 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> It is simple the repos available on your fedora installation vs the
> ones on Ubuntu.  Does not seem that there equivalent number of repos.
> Also the primary.xml.bz2???  takes too long to finsh many times after
> doing a
> # yum clean all
> # yum clean metadata
> It has to query the sqlite stuff and it takes too long.  This tends
> not to happen on Ubuntu, am I right?  You probably do not have to
> refresh apt-get stuff as you might have to do on yum.
>
> Anyway, the behavior is hard to determine why things are the way they
> are.  The size of the packages matters, also the servers from where
> the packages are fetched is also important, which plugins are present
> in yum for instance, fastest mirror, presto, etc.  A one-on-one
> comparison does not say much since other factors kick into the
> equation.

Read my post again. I deliberately set this up so that neither machine
was fetching new information from its repos, so network considerations
do not enter into it. Obviously a proper benchmark comparison would need
to ensure that both machines have essentially the same set of packages
installed and I didn't bother doing that, but the wallclock time
difference in this specific example is more than 10 to 1 and I can
assure you that the Fedora machine does not have even twice as many
packages as the Ubuntu one. Does this cosmically speaking matter? I've
no idea. I've no agenda to promote apt-get over yum or vice versa. It's
just a data point.

poc