test proposal: powertop!

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 18:50:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:25:28AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > I'd like us to do regular power testing of Fedora (around milestones,
> > and occasionally in rawhide) with powertop.
> >
> > Ideally, we'd:
> > - have one or two defined hardware platforms
> > - have a few defined workloads (idle system, idle desktop, desktop
> >   with some apps running)
> >
> > and then check them periodically to make sure we're not regressing.
> >
> > Opinions?

I'd also add:

  - after suspend/resume - make sure DISK power saving settings don't change

ie.  on F8, I have to do:

  hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

to eliminate the current 'click of ultimate demise' problem
with overly aggressive disk power management
(Unfortunately, I don't know where I can set-it/script-it
to run after a resume.)