Locked up boot after failed update

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 2 18:12:22 UTC 2008

Jim Cornette wrote:

>> Boot the machine with a rescue mode cd or other Live cd and fsck the
>> partitions in the install, then try booting it again.
>>

> Thanks! I could not find a boot disk to try. The parameter I was looking
> for is init=bin/sh which got me into the system.
>
> JIm

Two problems other than finding out how to bypass init on boot were
encountered. Mounting other filesystems manualy was no problem for /boot
/home.
Read-only / filesystem:
Had to run
mount -d -o remount,rw /dev/sda6 /
to get read-write access to the root filesystem

Had to run /usr/sbin/setenforce 0
Before I was able to install rpms without the 255 %post scriplet errors.

Then it was successful to rpm -Uvh all except kernel rpms left in cache.
The system would reboot afterward without locking up at unmounting old/sys

The bad thing the next upgrade reinstalled all the same rpms the next
time it was run. A package named imsettings remained as multiple arch
and needed removed with --noscripts --justdb.

Also the ati driver gave a blank screen only. I changed it to vesa for now.

Does anyone know what caused X to fail and kill the current sessions?

Jim

--
It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the
problem.