Need assistance

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 13 03:55:07 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:

> Anyone can get a fedora account.  But to become involved with packaging
> or directly editing software you need cvs commit access, and to get that
> you need to have a sponsor (someone who already has that access and is
> willing to work with you to make sure you know how the fedora system
> works).  I'm not one of those people, just a tester.

I expect you also need a reputation for getting in and doing stuff.
Testing, finding and fixing bugs, writing documentation.

Some time ago, Mark Shuttleworth spend some of the proceeds of the sale
of his business on an Antarctic holiday. For entertainment, he took an
archive of Debian mailing lists which he read when not otherwise engaged.

On his return, he spent more of the proceeds offering some people
employment, and that was the basis of manning the Ubuntu project.

The point is that he assessed people from how they worked with others
and how they contributed to the Debian project.

Anyone can do testing, it doesn't even have to be formalised, though I
have seen a test plan someplace Just used the bits that you want to.